What does “be present in the moment” even mean? And why is it important?
Being present in the moment simply means not living in the past and not worrying about the future. Stay connected to what is happening in the here and now. Focus on the person, place or thing that is happening right now.
Being present in the moment is the key to staying healthy both physically and mentally. You are living in the moment. It is the only time that you have the power to control what is going on in your life. You are not fretting about the past, which you cannot change, and you are not worrying about the future, which you cannot predict. Worrying about what you cannot fix or cannot predict causes undue stress on the body.
Here are 5 ways to stay present in the moment:
- Listen to your body – it will let you know when it is time to take a break
- Reduce distractions – unplug from everything and everyone
- Meditate – release your mind and let go of what is stressing you out
- Take a music break – crank up the volume of your favorite music and sing or dance your heart out
- Go for a walk – take a walk and just listen to the surrounding noise that only nature can make